Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

On Being the Bad Guy

She sits across me in my tiny office, her slender frame settled in on the flimsy green chair. Around her back, swaddled in cloth, rests a tiny baby, quiet. Her dark hair is pulled back, and her eyes are thick with eyeliner that I've noticed most Muslims here wear.

Beside her on the floor rests a little boy, one of my students. He has most recently taken a black crayon and scribbled across the floor, quite proudly I might add, as he awaited his mother's arrival. He was sent to my office as the last straw, the final result in a string of time outs and shouting and reprimands of "Say you're sorry!" He is a boy who leaves us exhausted every day, tired of not seeing any change in his behaviour. So the warning was made to him, and after it was repeatedly broken, a phone home was placed with an explanation of his suspension.

And so here I find myself, across the desk from his mom, who only later I would find out took that position after his biological mom left. Her eyes are sad, and I feel my heart break and voice waver as I explain to her his behaviour. I look to Rita, our teaching assistant, to explain what my English cannot, and afterwards his mom turns back to me, that familiar defeat in her eyes.

I try to find words to convey that he's not a lost cause, even though the defeat in her eyes surely has convinced her of that. I think of the moments where he hugs me at the end of the day, the rare occurences where he jumps in his seat anxious to offer an answer to a question I've posed. "He has so much potential!" I offer feebly. "I know inside of him there's a beautiful boy that's waiting to emerge."

She nods as she smiles and thanks me, reaching down for her son's hand. And my heart breaks as I watch them walk away, wishing I could have done more, wishing that a warning had sunk into his heart or a time out had made a simple impression on his behaviour. My heart hurt as I wished I hadn't seen her despair and defeat in her eyes; wishing, wishing, wishing.

I take a deep breath. Sometimes it sucks to be the bad guy.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say it would be difficult situation to be in, both for you, and the mom. I am sure your efforts will not be in vain, as painful as they may be. how long is the suspension, when will he back in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks! the suspension is for a week - he will be back a week from monday. hopefully he will come back with a different attitude!

      Delete