Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Entering the Homestretch

Four days. That's all I have left here in Asamankese.

From last Wednesday to Sunday were spent in bed, and time seemed to stretch on endlessly. I watched movies, I read, I listened to sermons but I could do little else besides lay in bed. Finally my backpain started to lift and today I am feeling almost back to 100%, praise the Lord! But now that I'm up and at 'em again, the next few days already seem like a blur.

This is what they cook on outside.



I came home from school today, and sat with Auntie Jo and the boys outside while they made dinner, and then wandered around the compound taking pictures and taking in sights and sounds. I'm trying to hold every moment as precious, from the feeling of the breeze just before it rains to the sound of Auntie Jo chattering to the boys. I'm lingering a little longer to on the roof or the courtyard, committing every hill and building and tree to memory. I'm holding each laugh and conversation close to my heart, because I know in a short time they will be settled in my soul, a distant memory.


Seth: "Get a picture of my Asamankese dimple!"
I'm grateful for this place. For what I've learned and all I've seen. I'm grateful for the conversations that have challenged who I am and how I see others. I'm grateful for the feeling of hands cupping a student's face, for the sound of a giggle erupting in a quiet classroom (but don't tell my students' that!).

Beautiful Belinda!
This place, this time here, has shaped my heart and soul in more ways than I'll ever count. No matter how hard it has been at times, I am going to hold onto that. I know for sure, as I board the plane and arrive in a snowy country, I am not the same person that left, and my heart is full of gratitude for that tonight.

Left our mark on the roof.
See you all very soon ... on the other side of the ocean!

Much love,

Angie

"An adventurous life does not necessarily mean climbing mountains, swimming with sharks or jumping off cliffs. It means risking yourself by leaving a little piece of you behind in all those you meet along the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment