Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Thoughts from Bed

Today I found myself in bed all. day. long. With an aching back (and no reason why). I attempted to go to school, and that lasted about 45 minutes until the Rita graciously offered to cover classes for me. So I hailed a taxi and came home to a welcoming bed.

I've watched multiple episodes of Everwood.

I've sung out the window to myself.

I've played games on my iPhone.

I've read.

I might be going a little stir-crazy.

I don't like being sick, and most of all, I don't like being sick when I am here for only nine more days. I just want to be up, and I want to be able to walk without walking like I'm 90 years old. But.

In saying that, even being sick and bedridden I got to see some beauty come out of it, too.

Because today I was shown the kindness of the Ghanaian family I've found here. All of the people I work with at the school - Dora, Rita, Evans, Ebenezer, and Kujo - all showed up after school to check on me and see how I was doing. Smart called me and texted to make sure I was okay. Felicia, the other teacher, phoned me to see how I was doing. Belinda kept me company, helped me apply ointment, and generally reassured me that I wasn't going crazy being cooped up in the house. Auntie Jo made sure to stop in and see how I was. I was just incredibly touched that all of these beautiful people wanted to make sure I was doing okay - and went as far as coming to visit me the very first day I'm home sick.

I think it just reminded me that on days like today to be thankful for the family we make wherever we go, even if they're not blood related.

It reminded me how the kindness of others can go along way in making us feel a bit better.

And it encouraged me to do the same to everyone in my life.

{So thank you, my Ghanaian family!}

Much love,

Angie

P.S. Prayers are SO appreciated that this backpain will go far, far away from me!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment