Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Weekend of Firsts

Friday morning we awoke bright and early - 5:30 am - to wait for our driver, Anthony, to pick Lesley, Mary, and me up to first head to Accra, then onto Cape Coast for the weekend. In typical Ghanaian fashion, he arrived an hour and fifteen minutes late, so we set off just before 7:30 am to Accra. We stopped their quickly to say goodbye to Mary - I know her family misses her, but I wish she could just stay here! :) - and then continue on our way to Cape Coast. It was a long drive there, since we got stuck in traffic due to market days and presidential visits. The president who is stepping in since the last president died was travelling to villages and towns to thank them for their support during the late president's funeral. So this meant we arrived at Kakum National Park, where the rainforest is, at 2:30 - it was a long day of driving to say the least!

Once we got there, paid our fee to get in, I was faced with a choice. As most of you who know me know, I am terrified of heights. Last summer I faced this fear and zip-lined - which, sadly, ended with a rescue attempt (another story for another day). But I did it! And am so proud my fears did not conquer me then. So I debated for a long time whether or not to do the canopy walk. The Canopy walk is roped bridges that are strung between a number of trees high up in the rainforest. The highest point is about 85 feet high. I could already feel my insides and knees shaking and growing weak at that thought - and once I was up there, you had to do it, so I wouldn't really have any choice but to continue. So, I decided to once again not let my fear of heights control me, paid my admission fee, and followed Lesley up the hike to through the forest.

And I made it!

It was terrifying - the first walk was probably the most scary. But as I continued, it became less scary and more beautiful! You couldn't really see straight down - afterall, it is so full of vegetation - so I think that it didn't seem as high up as I actually was. The trees and views from up at the top of the rainforest were spectacular. So many types of tall, beautiful trees! We took lots of pictures. It was amazing and I would gladly do it again!!

After Kakum, we stopped by a monkey sanctuary. I really wanted to go here and see some of the animals because since most of them are nocturnal, I knew I probably wouldn't see many while I'm here. So we saw all sorts of different types of rescued and injured monkeys, other mammals, crocodiles, and some reptiles too. It's a Dutch couple that have built this sanctuary and it was wonderful to hear the love and passion they have for rehabilitating these animals and then setting them back into their natural habitat.

Then we went on an adventure to find our inn, called Stumble Inn. It is literally off the beaten path - but absolutely beautiful! I was able to put my feet in the stormy ocean for the first time ever, and it was incredible. The waves were high, and we didn't stay long, but I was amazed at the splendor that is the Atlantic ocean.

Our Inn was really great - it was so relaxing, with a lot of huts and chairs to lounge in around the water. It was incredibly damp, always, though which was new for even Lesley, who's spent time in Florida and down south. Our hosts were so friendly and welcoming and made us feel right at home. The food was great (although slow!) and Friday night they had some traditional African dancers and drummers. I tried heading to bed early to see if I could finally sleep, but still no luck. Hopefully one of these days I'll be asleep before two.

Saturday morning we had planned on going to the Cape Coast castle, but we were too mesmerized by the sea, and we had also planned to do a Batik fabric making lesson which started a couple hours late. We enjoyed our breakfast by the ocean, and then Maria, a local, came and showed us how to make Batik fabric. Basically it is a technique using wax stamps impressed on fabric, then put in dyes. I chose red and two different types of stamps. Mine is fairly simple in comparison to their complex designs, but I love it! While we waited for our fabric to be dyed, a bead maker came by the Inn to sell his wares, but let us design our own pieces of jewellery. So Lesley made a necklace, and I made earrings out of his homemade beads. It was a very creative day indeed - I loved it! We spent the rest of the day reading, I was able to get a good signal on the internet to answer some emails before my computer died (there was no power except for a generator that ran for a couple hours at night), and just relaxing. We had a great day.

That night we had to switch rooms as the inn was full into a dorm-style room. It was a first for both me and Lesley, sharing a room with four other strangers (who happened to be Canadian, though!). But we made it and for $5 a night each, I'd most likely do it again!

Today we were up early for breakfast, then called a cab to take us to Cape Coast castle. This is the castle which was one of many that housed slaves during the transatlantic slave trade. It was an incredibly sombering experience. We walked through cells and dungeons where many faced their death, all because someone chose to believe that another human being's life was worth less than their own. It was horrifying to see where women were raped and beaten; to see where slaves who tried to escape where sent to die from lack of air or starvation. At the end of our tour, I stared out at the beautiful ocean that so mesmerizes me, and I was amazed at the idea that this ocean, which to me symbolizes beauty and God's grace, often symbolized death to these slaves. For if they made it through the castle and onto a slave ship headed across the ocean, chances were that meant they would die there as well. Women who showed signs of pregnancy were immediately thrown overboard, and slaves were fit so closely together as if they were sardines in a can. It was a sad reminder that things we see as so beautiful can be seen as a symbol of death when seen from a different pair of eyes.

After that, we headed back to our Inn for lunch and then to meet our driver to go back to Asamankese. Having had uncomfortable beds and shared facilities, both Lesley and I are excited for a bath and comfortable beds tonight! Hope everyone else had a great weekend, miss you all!!

XO

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment