Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cultural differences and first day of school!

Note - I meant to post this Thursday night but got distracted :P

Hi everyone!

So today we opened our doors to our kindergarten class! It began with a bright, early wake-up call by Mary at 6:30 a.m. - and since I am still struggling with jet lag, my eyes finally closed last night around two, so it was a short, short sleep indeed. We made our way to the school about ten to eight, and as school starts at eight, my Canadian expectations were that the students would be waiting for us. Indeed, I was quite wrong, as students trickled in for the first hour we were at the school! That will take some getting used to I'm quite sure.

For the most part, I observed Lesley teaching. Our Ghanian teacher, Rosamund (who will eventually take over when I leave as the primary teacher) also taught some lessons. It was a lot of fun – much more laidback than when I volunteered in a kindergarten class back home. I think it was really a trial day for all of us to see how the schedule went and what needed adjusting. It's quite a long day for our students – from 8 am until 3 pm – but that is the way the Ghanaians school their children, from what Mary has explained to us. Mary said that even in kindergarten there is more lecturing than interacting and far less play than we use in our Canadian schools. Even after one day of observing, Mary noted that Rosamund taught in a much more interactive way than she would have had she not seen us Canadians. It's exciting, because Mary's hope is that we can blend both the Ghanaian and Canadian way of teaching, equipping their teachers here to be able to teach in similar ways and styles to what we do in Canada.

It was a lot of fun to spend time with the kids! It took some time for them to warm up to us, and the language barrier is really hard to overcome as most of them don't speak very much English (it's basically the equivalent to an ESL class that we are teaching). But they eventually did and it was amazing to see their personalities start to emerge as they became more comfortable. The kids were enamoured with my long brown hair, and loved petting it and playing with it and even rolling it between their fingers.

Today (although I suppose I see this everyday!) I saw a lot of cultural differences between North America and Africa. For one, Ghanians seem to be much more comfortable with their bodies – Rosamund has an eight month old, and she regularly breastfed in open public with all of the students and parents around. And this was another thing – in North America, no woman would ever take her child to work with her! But Rosamund does, and it was amazing how she blended both taking care of her own child and the children around her. Her little baby laid snuggly wrapped in a blanket around her back, and when he needed nursing, she nursed, but for the most part he was quiet and allowed her to teach to the students before her. It was amazing to see her teach a lesson with a baby on her back! I was reminded of how different our cultures are as well when parents brought their kids late to school and were late to pick them up, and how it seems that we are always so concerned about teachers' touching students, and about their safety (like not sharing juice boxes or water) but that doesn't seem to really be of concern here at all.

And a funny story regarding cultural differences - you know how you wave and push your fingers down (not waving your hand side to side)? Well, here that means "come here." I had noticed kids running to me when I did that, but not understanding why, and then today I waved this way to a mom and her child, who followed me into the bathroom! Needless to say I was a bit confused just as she was!! Thankfully Mary had a good laugh and explained my mistake :)

It's definitely been an interesting day. I've been feeling a bit better as I get adjusted and settled in, but am still struggling with homesickness. Please keep me lifted up in prayer! This weekend Lesley and I are leaving bright and early (6 am!) for Cape Coast to see some of the castles which housed slaves during the slave trade, and spend some time along the beach. We also hope to go to Kakum rainforest (she wants to walk along the top – I am terrified of heights, so we'll see how that goes!) and we hope to do a Batik printing workshop at the Global Mama's location in Cape Coast. We will most likely return Sunday night if all goes according to plan!

Anyways, I am hoping to get some good rest tonight as we have an early start in the morning! Love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment